Tips to Consider Before, During, and after Oral Surgery Procedures
Patients seeking a dentist in Pasadena, California that performs oral surgery are welcome to book an appointment with the team at Prestige Dental. Dr. Vasag Bouzoghlanian and his team of professionals are here to assist patients with a variety of dental concerns. When oral surgery necessary, it is essential that patients work with an experienced professional they know and trust with their oral health.
What is oral surgery?
Oral surgery is any type of surgery in the area of the mouth that is done to improve the functionality or the health of the smile. It may include:
- Tooth extractions (including removal of wisdom teeth)
- Placement of dental implants
- Bone grafts
Prior to oral surgery
Patients who have scheduled oral surgery will receive recommendations from the dentist to follow on the day of treatment as well as prior to their appointment. Some tips to consider include:
- Arrange appropriate transportation to and from the appointment, especially if specific types of anesthesia and sedation are being used.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes approximately 24 hours prior to oral surgery, though quitting is the ideal.
- Brush and floss your teeth before arriving at the dental office.
- Avoid eating and drinking (except water) for approximately eight hours prior to the appointment if you will have sedation.
- Prepare soft foods (yogurt, gelatin, mashed potatoes, bananas, cream of wheat, etc.) to consume during your recovery time.
- Fill any prescriptions your dentist has prescribed prior to your appointment.
- Arrange for child care following your appointment and during your recovery time if you have young children.
- Wear comfortable clothing for the appointment and avoid wearing jewelry as it should be removed before some procedures.
During oral surgery
Some patients are put under proper sedation and anesthetics for their procedure so they are comfortable at all times. If you have any concerns during surgery or are experiencing discomfort, do not hesitate to notify our staff so we can ensure you are comfortable.
After oral surgery
- Follow post-operative care instructions to avoid losing blood clots and reduce the chance of infection.
- Avoid eating warm or spicy foods, or consuming alcohol.
- Get plenty of rest and avoid activities that will elevate your blood pressure.
- Brush the teeth carefully around the treatment area with a soft bristled brush.
- Avoid eating foods on the side of the mouth where the surgery was performed
- Rinse your mouth gently with saltwater (1tsp salt per 8oz glass of water) three times daily, especially after meals, starting the day after surgery
- Contact your dentist if there is excessive bleeding that cannot be controlled or if you are experiencing any signs of infection, fever, excessive swelling or pain.
At Prestige Dental, we work closely with patients in and around Pasadena, California. We provide oral surgery along with many other procedures to improve oral health and wellness. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of oral surgery, we encourage you to book a consultation visit and initial evaluation with our team by calling (626) 577-2017 and visiting us at 1060 E. Green Street, Suite 203, Pasadena, CA 91106. We welcome new patients as well as patients of record into our state-of-the-art dental facility for quality care!
Location: 1060 E Green St #203, Pasadena, CA 91106
Back to Articles