Tips & Suggestions from our Pasadena Dentist at Prestige Dental
Tips on caring for your braces and teeth during orthodontic treatment:
At our Pasadena dental office, we care about our patients undergoing orthodontic treatment, including you! We hope that your treatment will proceed as quickly and smoothly as possible so that you may enjoy that brand new, beautiful smile you’ve desired! During your braces treatment, we recommend the following:
- Continue excellent oral care by brushing and flossing regularly (don’t forget to continue to visit our dentist at Prestige Dental for cleanings, too!). We know it may be more challenging to floss with braces, but it’s very important to keep your teeth clean. Often times discolorations, white spots, and cavities develop when you don’t floss regularly. This can create treatment delays as well as affect your smile after the braces are removed. If you need tips or suggestions on how to care for your teeth with braces on, please contact us!
- Avoid foods on the “foods to avoid” list below.
- Keep all your appointments related to your braces to continue progress, minimizing delays and total treatment time.
- If you break a bracket, wires become lose or something is “poking” you, visit us as soon as possible.
- Always follow our dentist and dental staff’s instructions at Prestige Dental regarding your braces and orthodontic treatment.
Foods to avoid during treatment with braces:
- Chewing ice.
- Biting hard candies or snacks.
- Chewy sticky candies like Starburst, Skittles, Laffy Taffy, etc.
- Hard bagels/pizza crust.
- Tortilla chips.
- Soft drinks and sugary juices.
Our suggestions on things you SHOULD do during treatment with braces:
We recommend the following for making your orthodontic treatment as pleasurable as possible:
- Have soft snacks like yogurt or Jello.
- Cold foods and drinks will help minimize discomfort after having braces tightened.
- ALWAYS use a mouth guard when taking part in contact sports.
- Brush your teeth after every meal whenever possible.
- Cut up crunchy foods like apples and carrots instead of biting into them in order to avoid damaging your brackets.
If you have any questions regarding your braces, don’t hesitate to contact our Pasadena dentist or dental staff at Prestige Dental for more information on your orthodontic treatment!