Exams And Cleanings
Cleanings & Exams
The prevention of disease!
Professional cleanings (dental prophylaxis) performed by a dentist or certified dental hygienist form the foundation for preventing gum disease and tooth decay. In a professional cleaning, your dentist/hygienist will:
- Remove plaque from the teeth -- Plaque is a sticky substance that forms in the mouth from food, saliva, and bacteria. Plaque sticks to teeth and causes tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Remove calculus (tartar) above the gum line -- Calculus is the plaque that has hardened on the tooth surface and is difficult to remove. (Calculus below the gum line indicates gum disease and requires a different procedure to remove it.)
- Polish and remove stains from teeth
Dental examinations help to diagnose diseases before they become hazardous to your health. In addition, regular examinations can save you money and time by alleviating problems while they are small and before they become expensive to repair, or in some cases, impossible to repair. At Prestige Dental, Dr. Bouzoghlanian recognizes the importance of comprehensive examinations. Your dental examinations generally will include the following:
- Oral cancer screening
- Gum disease evaluation
- Visual examination of tooth decay
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays to see cysts, tumors, hidden decay and other problems that can’t be seen by the naked eye
- Evaluation of condition of current restorations (fillings and others)
- Evaluation of bite and temporomandibular joint (TMJ)
- Cosmetic evaluation
- Evaluation for snoring, sleep apnea, tooth grinding (bruxism), and other conditions
We cannot express enough how important it is to see your Pasadena dentist regularly. Remember, preventing disease is always better than treating disease.
← Back to Preventive Dentistry